In December of 1927, twelve citizens approached the Commonwealth of Massachusetts about something their local government couldn’t or wouldn’t do. They received a charter from the legislature for “the raising and obtaining of funds for the purchase and maintenance of fire fighting apparatus and equipment and for the protection of property from and during such fires as may occur in the town of Rowley and its vicinity.”
Within a year they had raised enough money on their own to buy a brand new Seagrave engine.
They owned one ladder. It took another 8 years to get a station of their own, and there were no fire hydrants until 1948.
The times and the town have changed, but the organization and the station still exist. Pretty cool.